A couple of weeks ago, the fabric panel below landed on my desk. I have been coordinating a giveaway at work and since my customers have an ongoing love affair with panels, this one was up for grabs. To be completely honest, I don't totally get "panels". I don't generally like their subject matter or the sentiments given, but I knew there had to be something about them, because I had met so many quilter's who love them. So when this one didn't make it into the giveaway I knew I had a chance to play around with it!
This particular panel can be broken up into eight patches, which is why I kinda liked it, plus the typewriter is super cute. And since my parents just purchased a new home, I knew that I wanted to make my mom something as a house warming gift.
My mom is big on hosting gatherings and dinners. As the matriarch of a family with over 45 people, she makes a lot of food. So I decided to use the panel to make a couple of extra large hoy pads.
Obviously the first thing I did was match up some fabrics. I didn't want to make a run to the fabric store, so I had a limited array of options. I played around with a couple of different color options. Luckily the fabric panel is pretty basic, so it was easy to play with the contrasting colors. And since I had recently visited my mom, I knew what colors would look better in her kitchen!
Once I settled on the coordinating fabrics and located all my supplies. I took the time to cut and trim each one of the patches.
I went ahead and added a simple 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inch border around each patch. Nothing too fancy, as the patch is suppose to be the part that pops.
I didn't know exactly how to "quilt" the layers together, so I opted to stack and flip inside out instead. That basically means that I stacked in this order, cotton batting, Insulbright, pretty sided facing up, back side "kissing" or facing down, all together. Sewed all around the edges, leaving a 2 inch gap, trimmed the corners and turned inside out. I also sewed a tab into it for hanging up if that is how my Mom wanted to store these. I tried topstitching really close to the edge of the project, but the batting was too bulky and my machine hated it. So I ended up whip stitching the opening closed by hand and then adding some decorative stitching around the actual patch to keep the whole thing together. I also did some stitching in the ditch just to add some strength to the whole thing.
Of course my Mom loved them!
You can purchase the panel HERE! It's a pretty cute one!
Just a couple of tips, read the directions on the insulbright before you sew with it. I would have really messed these up if I hadn't taken the time to read all the directions first! I did was the panel before I started to sew with it, which I recommend because I expect these to get a lot of use and they will be washed.